Next week the Cape Town Art Week will start.
The ART WEEK CAPE TOWN is a diverse programme of contemporary art events throughout Cape Town, beginning on November 24 and ending on December 4 2012.
Initiated by the Contemporary Art Development Trust, ART WEEK CAPE TOWN is made possible through the collaboration of galleries, arts organisations, academic institutions and independent artist collectives.
The purpose of ART WEEK is to increase public awareness of the vibrant contemporary art scene in Cape Town and to promote the activities of the many artists, curators and other innovators living in and around the city.
This edition of the event is the first in what will be an annual highlight on the city’s cultural calendar.Based on similar successful models abroad, ART WEEK CAPE TOWN creates a public programme for one week each year, in which galleries, museums, arts organisations and artists have the opportunity to share audiences and information resources.
All participants have their various events included on a map which is distributed free of charge around the city. Unlike a typical festival or serial exhibition, the content of ART WEEK CAPE TOWN is generated entirely by participants, and most of the production expenses are collectively covered by participants as well.
- Official ART WEEK CAPE TOWN launch party: Saturday November 24, Mzoli’s Place, Gugulethu, 6pm.
- Maboneng Township Arts Experience: Saturday November 24 – Sunday November 26, Gugulethu. 11am – 7pm on both days.
- City Bowl gallery openings: Monday 26 November – Wednesday 28 November. 6-9pm
- Opening of Mikhael Subotzky’s Standard Bank Young Artist Award Exhibition, Retinal Shift: Wednesday 28 November, 6pm, Iziko South African National Gallery.
- Woodstock gallery openings: Thursday 29 November, from 6pm -9pm.
- ArtWalk open studio programme [Woodstock, Salt River, Observatory]: Friday 30 November – Saturday 1 December. Various times (see ART WEEK website for details).
- Party at /A Word of Art, 66 Albert Road Woodstock: Friday 30 November 7pm until late.
- GIPCA Live Art Festival: Friday November 30 – Tuesday December 4, 2012, at Hiddingh Hall and City Hall.
Get more info at www.artweek.co.za or contact Anthea Buys email@example.com