The Tokai Forest Market offers the perfect place for shoppers to look forward to a peaceful, fun and magical experience every Saturday.
Held in the southern suburbs near Constantia, this market has a little bit of something for visitors of all ages. It also provides an opportunity for some family quality time and adventure. There is a great deal of fun to be had for each member of the family, from activities for the kids to shopping for the teens as well as culinary highlights for the foodies.
The Tokai Forest Market began in 2007 under the name of the Porter Produce Estate Market, offering locals an outdoor market set in the picturesque forest of Tokai. With its new name comes an extended range of activities, ensuring a market that is fresher, more interesting and packed with activities for children, adults and even teenagers to enjoy.
Set in a large open space, visitors have the opportunity to have coffee, breakfast and brunch while doing some early morning browsing at this unique home industry market. There are many stalls that range from delicious baked breads and pies to jewellery, handcrafted décor items for the home, children’s clothes and a number of additional local traders and charities. The stalls cater to foodies of Cape Town, fashionistas that are always looking for bargain or a unique piece to add to their ever-growing closets, lovers looking for a different type of date and families seeking a kid-friendly outing. There is also an area being built to accommodate for kids parties!
Participating vendors that can be found at Tokai Forest Market include the following:
• Yandiswa Mazwana – Recycled art made locally.
• Healthy Bite – Healthy wraps for lunches and light meals.
• Italian Wiches – Flat breads with tasty fillings.
• Aubrey Wonderjuice – Fresh juices made to order.
• Debbie’s Deli – Pickled fish, homemade gingerbeer, homemade pineapple beer and other craft food.
• Hot Stuff – Curries, sauces and pies.
• Reflexology – Onsite reflexology treatments.
• Moer Koffie – Old fashioned coffee made the traditional way.
• The Braai Corner- Ready-made traditional braai with salads.
• The Grand East – Curries, vegetarian dishes and crispy samosas.
• The Baker Down the Road – Wholesome and tasty breads, baked goods and pies.
• Sublime – Fudge and pavlova.
• Mike’s Frames – Vintage wooden frames and wooden toys.
• Pens Charcuterie – Chorizo and pork products.
• Charlie’s pickles &Preserves – Homemade pickles.
• Olyfberg – Olives in every form.
• Freedom Bakery – Gluten and sugar free bread, cake, brownies and crunchies.
• Our Planet Rocks- Rocks, fossils and semi-precious stones.
• Lorna’s Bags – Genuine leather bags and accessories.
• Happy Slabs – Ceramic tiles that kids decorate with coloured sand and beads.
• Sandart Cards – Children’s art made from coloured sand.
• Dadiva – Sterling silver handcrafted jewellery.
• Amongst many more exciting vendors.
The market has a wide variety of activities for children as well as adults hoping to unleash their inner child. These include jungle gyms, pony rides, lazertag and jumping castles we have for the little ones. Every week at 11am there will be an activity for parents or kids and a lunchtime menu to ensure a peaceful, unrushed lunch. Unlike most other markets that close soon after lunch, the Tokai Forest Market is open from 09h00 until 14h00, allowing a leisurely afternoon with no need to hurry.
A message from one of the Tokai forest Market organisers: “This market is important for the home based traders and the organizations that we support, how we depend on the community and also try service the area in which we situated. There will be no alcohol sold at the market but you are more than welcome to bring a picnic with champagne or a bottle of wine to enjoy under the trees (As long as things stay controlled).”
• Date: Every Saturday.
• Times: 09h00 – 14h00
• Address: Orpen Road/Spaanchemat River Road, Tokai, Western Cape, South Africa
For further details about the Tokai Forest Market keep checking their Facebook page and website for up to date information and happenings. Find them on their website at www.TokaiForestMarket.co.za or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/