- Cape Town is also know as the Mother City as it is the oldest South African city (1652).
- Cape Town is the capital of the Western Cape.
- Cape Town has been described by many as one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
- Cape Town had in 2007 an estimated population of 3.5 million.
- Cape Town is about 3 times the size of New York City
- Cape Town is the only city in the world situated on the Indian and Atlantic Oceans
- Cape Town has been voted as the ‘World’s Best Destination’ in TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Destination awards for 2011.
- Cape Town is located on the shore of Table Bay.
- Cape Town´s well-known landmarks are Table Mountain (1081m) and Cape Point
- Cape Town borders the Table Mountain National Park
- Cape Town is Africa’s most popular tourist destination.
- The hotels in Cape Town provide accommodation with overall more than 70 000 rooms.
- Cape Town it is one of the most multicultural cities in the world.
- Cape Town´s weather provides a Subtropical Mediterranean climate with mild, wet winters, and dry and very warm summers.
- Cape Town is a major destination for immigrants and expatriates to South Africa
- Cape Town is know as the party capital of South Africa. Well known clubs in Cape Town are Trinity, Voom Voom, ZAR, Chrome, Fez Club, Cafe Caprice, Jade Champagne Bar and Lounge, Bronx Action Bar
- Cape Town has over 70 mountains above 300 meters in the official city limits
- Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa.
Cape Town news is covered by the newspapers Cape Argus, De Burger and Times
- Cape Town gets frequent strong winds from the south-east, known locally as the Cape Doctor. (No there is no windguru in Cape Town)
- Cape Town´s harbor is deemed to be one of the busiest shipping corridors in the world.
- Cape Town has one of the highest levels of biodiversity of any equivalent area in the world
- Cape Town is quite popular for Whale watching
- The median age in Cape Town is 26-years-old, with almost half the population less than 24-years-old.
- Cape Town´s Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, built on top of part of the docks of the Port of Cape Town, is the city’s most visited tourist attraction
- The 11 official languages of South African mean there are lots of names for Cape Town, including iKapa (Xhosa) and Kaapstad (Afrikaans).
And Cape Town has more to offer: the sea, the blue skies, the beaches, the mountains, the winding coastline, the restaurants and cafes, the parks, the shops, its unique culture and its people.
The map shows you where Cape Town is located.
View Larger Map
If you haven´t been to Cape Town yet, you really should visit this beautiful city. It is worth it. And now you know where Cape Town is.
Before you book a flight to Cape Town, please make sure you read this recommendation of mine first – it will save you a lot of money that you can spend in Cape Town Click here and learn how to save up to $500 or more on your next flight.
Here are some more helpful links if you plan to visit Cape Town.
Capetownians: I know that you know more interesting facts about Cape Town. Please feel free to comment below in the form field.